Prof. Anne S. Tsui’s approach to management (and life) at a glance
- “The word ‘success’ is not in my dictionary. What I have done is only to spare no effort in doing what I have done. That is all.”
- In her speech, expressions such as “We talk with data” are frequently used, indicating her research is based on robust support of data and closely relevant to reality.
- “Management is something about people. Work and people are inseparable from each other. The issue about “humanity” is the issue that is the most relevant to our lives but the most difficult to understand.”
- “How to build a management theory system more suitable for the unique situations in China has become a priority issue for Chinese scholars.”
- “Chinese management has characteristics based on which a theory system can be formed. I’m dedicated to finding out a system of research methods most suitable for the conditions of China. After all, the market environments and corporate cultures in China are drastically different from those in Western countries. Direct copying of the existing Western theories without any adjustment apparently will not work in China, although these Western theories can still provide some experiences and references for Chinese scholars to learn from.”
- She quotes, finally: “Concern for the man himself and his fate must always form the chief interest of all technical endeavors; concern for the great unsolved problems of the organization of labor and the distribution of goods in order that the creations of our mind shall be a blessing and not a curse to mankind.” Albert Einstein.
Prof. Anne S. Tsui, Fudan School of Management, China
A full article on Anne S. Tsui’s philosophy of work, management and life, “Scholarly Sense and Sensibility”, will be posted shortly.
The Council on Business & Society Global Alliance is an ongoing international dialogue between six of the world’s leading business schools and an organiser of Forums focusing on issues at the crossroads of business and society – The Council Community helps bring together business leaders, academics, students and journalists from around the world. #CouncilonBusinessandSociety